Thursday, November 6, 2008

Long time no C[++,#]

Busy, busy, busy... and still am :)

Recently we were merging our domain(s) to one, big domain... which is not easy when the impact for the users should be zero (best case that is).

So, what did I learn?
First and foremost VBS *shiver* for the logonscripts and other neato thingies that needed to be done while the user cannot do much about them... which is most important, as these pesky people tend to stop whatever is running just to get to their 'Lotus Notes'.

Second... I did not find a way to make a simple, standalone program to set various (temporary) rights for the users in C#. And I *tried*... HARD... which brought me back to my trusty (and rusty) C++ Builder (I *hate* that registration process thing, Borland! And I *hate* the new help, get the old one back... much niiiicer)

Third... don't trust MS with their docs either... I found a few very *wrong* things they put into the Active Directory Schema docs... well... the Domain will recover :)

What is to expect next from me?
Weeeeeeell... a few posts with tips on what to do and what THE HECK NOT to do in Domainmigration, some neato things I got hopping in VBS (in your *face* Central Team! I *did* get it working, noobs), a neato thing discovered in C# (Yes, Kurt, still fiddling with it and not abandoned) and general riffraff I need to get out :)

There were some questions about me abandoning the blog... yeah... riiiight.

So... I try to post more regularly and keep you updated :)

No comments: